Association honey extractors
We are very fortunate to have two 9-frame centrifugal honey extractors available for hire by association members. They are in very high demand at peak times times of the year so to make best use and keep waiting times as low as possible we have formulated some simple guidelines to which all hirers must agree.
Please read the guidelines below, and the linked extractor advice and cleaning instructions, where a “request to hire” form can be found.
- The hire charge for an extractor is £10 PER MEMBER if used during the year. If more than one person uses the extractor in a hire session, each person must pay but subsequent hires are included in the initial fee. Please pay at the shop when you book, or as soon as possible afterwards.
- We want to make sure that in times of high demand when members are on the waiting list, an extractor is not sitting, unused in someone’s home until they get round to using it. Most extractions (even from many supers) can be carried out in a 24 hour period. The process must be well planned but is not difficult to achieve. We consider the ‘normal’ hire period to be one day (e.g. pick up in the evening, return/pass 24 hours later). If you need the extractor for two days or longer, this will be possible but you may be on the waiting list a little longer – mid week is usually better for longer hires.
- The hirer will be responsible for collection and return of the extractor to the FBKA shop (or transfer/collection to another member), however, it is unlikely that you will have to collect and return it. We will try and arrange that it passes from member to member without the need to be returned to the shop after each hire.
- On collection, you should ensure that the extractor is in good condition, properly assembled and clean. The extractor will have been thoroughly cleaned by the previous hirer, but before using it, you are advised to check. Please let us know if you are concerned about the extractor’s condition or cleanliness on collection.
- After use, you must clean the extractor thoroughly before returning.
- If the extractor sustains damage whilst in your care, you must report this to us immediately and not attempt to use or repair it without agreement. You will be responsible for repair costs which do not arise from normal wear and tear.
- You must not attempt to dismantle any electrical part or the extractor (plug, speed controller or motor) or remove the frame cage from its central spindle.
- Please let us know when you receive or pass on an extractor – to allow us to keep track of its location.
- It may be convenient if you could keep the extractor for a few days if not required immediately after your hire – if you cannot store it, please let us know.
- You must follow the extractor advice and cleaning instructions (request form is on this page)