We hold meetings throughout the year (except in July and August) to which everyone is welcome and which are free to attend. We usually have a guest speaker, and we cover a diverse range of interesting of beekeeping topics over the year; the meetings are an ideal opportunity to improve and share your knowledge, be entertained and associate with other members over a cup of tea and piece of cake. We normally meet at the Crookham War Memorial Hall, Sandy Lane, Fleet, GU52 8LD at 7:45PM on the second Thursday of each month. We usually have Summer and Christmas socials/meals in a local pub in June and December, and we don’t have evening meetings in July or August – when the beekeeping season is at its busiest.
Members and non-members are welcome to attend our meetings to find out more about our association and beekeeping. Unlike most other BKAs, we don’t charge meeting fees – but we do request that you to make a generous donation to help fund the event and refreshments.
Here’s what you’ve missed at some of our recent meetings.
Our planned meetings are shown below – please come along and meet us (and make yourself known to one of the committee).
- 10 October: Fleet Beekeepers Honey Show & Nosema talk by Chris Palgrave
- 14 November: The role of honey bees, wild bees and other insects in pollination; Dr Mike Barrett, Reading University
- December: Christmas social (date & venue TBA)
- 9 January: The use of Nucs; David Rudland, East Surrey Bees
- 13 February: Annual General Meeting
- 12 March: TBA
- 9 April: TBA
- 14 May: Bee Venom Allergies; Dr Patrick Yong, Consultant in Allergy and Clinical Immunology at Royal Surrey County and Frimley Park Hospitals
- June – October: TBA
- 12 November: Wings, Stings and Other Things (under the microscope); James Donaldson, Microscopist – Fleet Beekeepers
If you’re not yet a member, you’ll be made very welcome if you just turn up, but if you can, please make contact beforehand.
If you’re thinking of learning to be a beekeeper, please look at the information about our course to register your interest.
We look forward to meeting you.