Meetings

Our regular meeting programme has resumed. Due to the special conditions imposed on us as a result of the Coronavirus situation, we cannot, at present, hold conventional meetings in our usual venue and all meetings in 2020 (and some in 2021) will be held using Zoom (either Video Conference or Webinar). We hope to be able to return to normal as soon as possible, but we cannot say when this will be.

Under normal circumstances We hold meetings throughout the year (except in July and August) to which everyone is welcome and which are free to attend. We usually have a guest speaker or a focused event, and we cover a diverse range of interesting and informative beekeeping topics over the year; the meetings are an ideal opportunity to improve your knowledge, be entertained and swap stories with other beekeepers.

Our planned meetings are shown below; further details will be added when available and we will send email reminders along with a Zoom link in advance of each meeting. Please reserve the following dates in your diary:

2020 Meetings 

  • 10 September: Beekeepers’ Question Time – completed
  • 8 October: Mark & Claire Cooper, Fleet Beekeepers; “Asian Hornet Hunting on Jersey”
  • 12 November: Sarah Wyndham Lewis, Bermondsey Street Bees; “Honey: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”
    Staggeringly, only 14% of the honey sold in Britain is now produced by British beekeepers. The majority of the other 86% of the honey consumed in the UK is highly-processed and blended : ‘ A product of EU and non-EU honeys’Sarah lifts the lid on the dirty secrets behind processed honey, taking us on a tour of the good, the bad and the ugly in the honey world and suggesting ways that we, as beekeepers, can educate the public to buy local and buy better.
  • December: Quiz (subject to confirmation)

2021 Meetings

Planning for 2021 is well under way; the meeting dates are shown below and confirmed speakers are listed. We’ll post further details as we fill the programme.

  • 14 January: Seb Owen, Vita Europe; “Latest research and developments in treating bees”
  • 11 February: Fleet Beekeepers Annual General Meeting
  • 11 March: TBA
  • 8 April: TBA
  • 13 May: TBA
  • 10 June: TBA

If you’re not yet a member and would like to join us at a meeting, please make contact beforehand.

If you’re thinking of learning to be a beekeeper, please look at the information about our course to register your interest.

We look forward to meeting you.